Wednesday 20 July 2011

Square Foot Garden One planted up

With some help from Uncle Mel:
And the right reference page:
Square Foot Garden One is now measured up and planted up:
As one faces the box, there are beans, peas, squashes and peppers in the the squares on both sides from the front corner.  These are all climbers and/or trailers.  I will provide a frame for them which will help some with wind protection.  The beans, peas, squashes and peppers are all space hungry, so I have put radishes around them, as the radishes will harvest before the squashes and pepper need the space.  In fact, I may be able to harvest radishes twice before the bigger plants consume the space.  On the inside there is an assortment of parsley, rocket, butter and lolla rosa lettuce, spinach and swiss chard.  In the further most corner is some paprika.  On the road side are some marigolds, and on the path side, more spinach and swiss chard.  Now it is a case of waiting to see what comes up.

My property gets the sun from the road side, and the wind from the driveway side and the path side.  I'll have to make a plan to provide protection from the path side, without blocking sunlight.

Everything that is going to sprout should sprout before I leave for Korea, so I can fill in any 'holes' there may be as a consequence of barren seed, or seeds planted too deep.  The radishes will be ready for harvest when I get back.

I have taken a big of a risk by planting spring/summer veggies now.  I figure we are still in for some cold weather.  However, we do not get frost here, so maybe it will be okay.  Anything that is not okay will be lessons learnt for next year.

In all honesty, Uncle Mel's help has been really great.  It is so much easier to plant up a little square with the right number of veggies, than a very large patch of ground.  It is also easier to plant for need, rather than space.

I must still decide where to put my Trog Monster guardian.  I think I'll wait until some of the seeds have sprouted and then put him in an appropriate place.

No comments:

Post a Comment