Thursday 22 December 2011

Tricky Business, Sticky Business

I think I've done it again.  Back in March, when I first started this blog, I did a post on preserving.  It was cause for much mirth, because I hopelessly overbought.  I suspect that I have done it again.


Let's start at the beginning.  Helen called this morning to suggest that we go to Epping Market.  On the way we stopped at the natural spring in Newlands to collect water:
Here is Helen with some of the bottles that we filled.  There were several other people doing the same thing.  It appears to be quite a popular past time with people far and near.


We then went on to the market:
Here is Helen choosing fruit.  Below is what I walked away with:
Apricots
Yellow Cling Peaches

Onions, Butternut and, tucked behind, potatoes
The pictures taken above are after having made the following preserves:
At the back, Peach Atchar, in the front, Apricot Jam
And this is after having offered some fruit to Walter when he came round to drop off the slide show of the moonlight walk.  As you can see from the piccies above, I have hardly made any inroads into the fruit at all!  
That means several more blogs on my preserving adventures over the next few days.  The trick now will be to find space in the cupboard to store it until it is ready for use.


I must admit to having had a lot of fun doing this.  Thanks, Helen, for suggesting it.  It turned into a simply wonderful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment