Saturday 24 December 2011

Awakening my inner kitchen goddess

Those of you who know me well would not, perhaps, list culinary skill as a major attribute in my life.  Most of you would say....'Reine, keep your day job', when I offer valiantly to produce a meal.  Well, those of you who know me well are simply going to have to change your tune.


In my last post on Thursday, I described Helen's and my adventure to Epping market, and my initial preserving efforts.  I spared you all a round of seeing yet more of my preserving efforts yesterday, and am now going to show you the result so far:
Erm, yes, there are quiet a few.  In fact, there are 60 all told:
I started to run out of jars, so towards the end, the jars got a bit eclectic.  In the collection are the following:
a)  Butternut, Apricot and Almond Chutney;
b)  Apricot Jam;
c) Onion Marmalade;
d) Yellow Cling Peaches and Onion Atchar.
I have added the above recipes to the Recipe page offered as a menu option on the right.


And I promise you, they all look rather yummy!  My forays into the pot scrapings bear witness to that.  All of them set, which is something of a relief.  Except for the onion marmalade which is ready immediately, the rest have to cure for a month before consumption.


I still have about half of the peaches to go, but will have to come up with more jars before getting stuck into those.


And, just in case you are not already impressed:  whilst all of this was going on, I managed to contribute to tomorrow's Christmas lunch with some roasted pork with sweet moroccan dukkah which I will serve with an apricot and apple gravy, and a roasted deboned leg of lamb, stuffed with garlic, and roasted on a bed of fresh rosemary.  I can't really provide links to these recipes as I made them up along the way.  Besides, there is always Google :).


I have decided that perhaps I should revert to hiking.  Otherwise I might have to move out of the cottage in order to accommodate all those preserves.


Here's to a wonderful festive season to all of you.

1 comment:

  1. No need to move out of your cottage. What normal man would not want to have a chef with your skills?

    ReplyDelete