Friday 9 December 2011

Hiking up Slangkop in Kommetjie

For my not South African friends, Fish Hoek is on the East Coast of the tip of South Africa, whilst Kommetjie is on the West Coast.  They two villages are about 15 minutes apart [I didn't take the mileage, but it truly is not very far].  It has to do with the fact that we live so close to Cape Point which, although not the most southerly tip of Africa, is where the Indian and Atlantic oceans meet.  It can be quiet confusing for visitors, and sometimes for us, to work out which ocean one is looking over.

Today we hiked up Slangkop towards the Block House at the top.  The views looked out over Kommetjie, over Noordhoek beach, and across the coast to Hout Bay:

This little part of the planet makes me want to weep sometimes.  It is so beautiful that words simply can't begin to describe it.  When I look out over these incredible vistas, I get a sense of wholeness, through the sheer power of nature.

This is clearly not an experience which is just my own.  Today we stumbled across a pilgrimage of some sort up in the mountains:
which seems to culminate in a cross which looks out over the view in the first photograph:
 Here is a small prayer for me, and for all of those who are privileged enough to live in this area:  'May we never stop experiencing th wonder that we shared today'.


No comments:

Post a Comment