Thursday 29 December 2011

Happy Box!

I last posted on Christmas Eve.  Today I am celebrating what I regard as a successful gardening effort.  Here is one of my square foot gardens, absolutely burgeoning with goodies:
The tomatoes at the back, parsley in the middle and gemmies in the front were all grown from seed.  I am getting about 10 small tomatoes a day with simply loads of green ones and still many more tiny yellow flowers.  The parsley is like a bed of moss and seems to supply a never-ending amount of fresh sprigs for salads.  In the front, the gemmies are becoming quite voracious.  They have twined themselves around the string, so I have put up stakes and hope to train them up before they consume the entire box.

I cheated today.  On my way home from Kommetjie, I stopped off at Goemans and got punnets of green pepper, butternut, some rocket, and an interesting annual basil shrub that I have not seen before.  I did take piccies of the other box.  They didn't turn out so well, so that is going to have to wait for another post.

And, just to make my heart happy, I bought some pretties for one of the pots:
I have posted several photographs on Project 365, starting on 25th December through to today, with today's being my Happy Box :).  One is of a lovely hike through Newlands Forest.  Here is another one:

To celebrate my heart being full of happiness, here is a shot of some happy hearts:
These simple pleasure, that bring so much joy.... where would I be without them?

Here is an addendum to this blog:
Trust me to forget the absolute best news.... Do you recall, way back when I started my garden, I planted some ginger in a milk crate lined with a plastic bag and filled with soil?  Ok, so during the winter it died.  The lowly little milk crate has been sitting abandoned in my back garden, waiting for me to get round to doing something with it.  Well, guess what?  The ginger is growing again!  I am ever so pleased about this.  More lessons learnt... Don't be in too much of a hurry to write something off, and when growing ginger, expect it to stay dormant until the end of the year.  Ok, so next year I'll be better at growing ginger....

No comments:

Post a Comment