Friday 16 December 2011

Update on square foot gardens

The original purpose of this blog was to explore organic gardening, permaculture, vermiculture, and all things wonderful in growing one's own vegetables.  As life has it, learning about abundance most certainly did not stop there.  I discovered hiking, and have found more abundance, albeit inedible, than I could possibly have foreseen back in April when my small blog adventure began.

I have had several queries about my little garden, from long term friends, new friends and from Dani.  So here are some pictures of how they look now:
The above box currently contains tomatoes, flowering, fruiting and just starting to ripen, in the forefront two gem squashes, and in the middle some very healthy, happy parsley.  In the pots in the background there are garlic chives.
In this box there is swiss chard, baby spinach [gone to seed], green and red lettuce, more parsley, radishes [gone to seed], broad beans, marigolds and a chilli plant.  As a first time gardener, I have let the baby spinach and radish go to seed as I am interested in the process of harvesting seed.  The radishes have loads of small pods, like very small fat beans, which presumably are seed pods.  I now need to learn how to harvest the seed so that I can become self-perpetuating in this regard.  Likewise for the baby spinach, which, incidentally, is very, very prickly.  It looks a titch tatty at the moment.  At least it has purpose.

Not photographed, in the back garden, I have spring onions, carrots, strawberries, more swiss chard and a random selection of herbs in pots.  The strawberries have proved to be much easier than I originally anticipated.  Although their first fruiting season, they have produced enough fruit for me to munch happily whilst I water.  I doubt that they will ever produce enough for the table.  Whatever, it has been a fun experiment.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice indeed. It is so lovely to be able to step out in the yrad and pick the veggies for supper, Have you thought of planting shallots again,

    ReplyDelete