Sunday 25 September 2011

Mozart in the Methodist Church in Simonstown

Cleone and I attended a concert in the Methodist Church in Simonstown last night.  The conductor was a man by the name of Steve van der Merwe.  He is a doctor.  I couldn't help thinking to myself - 'I hope he delivers babies'.  I could just imagine them popping out like peas in a pod.  He is an excellent conductor.  The church was packed with people.  The music was superb.  There is something about a live orchestra that makes the music that much more beautiful.  I think it has to do with the very vivid perception of complete and utter harmony, and a group of people working together to make something incredibly beautiful.  The instruments and their gleaming wood and brass, and in this case a flute of gold, is a feast for the eye.  I did not take a photograph out of deference to the members of the orchestra.

Afterwards, we crossed the street to Cleone's Rose Vine Cottage, and had a peaceful glass of ginger beer whilst looking out across False Bay and the Simonstown harbour.  The bay was as still as a mill pond.  Another lost opportunity for a photograph.  I was so enjoying the peace and the scenery and the company, that I didn't fetch my camera from the car.

I did post a picture of yachts taken on my way into Simonstown.

Today is another perfect Cape Town day.  It is warm and balmy, not a breath of wind.  It is from now on until the start of the new year that driving in Fish Hoek, particularly over a weekend, becomes somewhat unpleasant.  It is not yet holiday season, but with Heritage day yesterday, and the very evident arrival of Summer, it is probably that all 'Kaapenaars', will have dug themselves out of bed, put kids and dogs, boom boxes and picnic boxes into the boot of the car and will be on their way to the coast.  

So today will be a walking day.  With so many gorgeous displays of spring flowers in gardens in an around the neighbourhood, I figure walking Bolle down the road with my camera will give me much on which to feast my eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment