Thursday 1 September 2011

Another day in Paradise

As I typed in the heading for today's post, I had to smile to myself.  There were many people in the company where I used to work who were not happy.  The greeting of the day was always.... 'Hi, another day in paradise', said with a skeptical grimace.  What delight it is to type it in and know it to be a truth.

I woke up really early, and was treated to a long on line chat with Dani, who is seven hours ahead of me in terms of Korea and South Africa.  Having missed most of the night, I set the alarm for 07h30 and returned to bed.

When I got up, I did all the daily start-up chores, and then walked down to Fish Hoek station to catch a train to Muizenberg for the monthly U3A meeting.  Today's presentation was done by a lady from Friends of Silvermine, who is part of the Flora Documentation Group.  It was fascinating.  She grouped the various flora into interesting facets of pollination, symbiosis, plants that mimic others, and plants with interesting eating habits, like carnivorous ones.  What a treat to learn more about the rich flora in our unique floral kingdom.

Afterwards, I started to amble home, with the full intention of catching the train either in St James or in Kalk Bay.  I was so enjoying the walk, taking photographs along the way, that I eventually walked all the way home.

The views, as always were spectacular, even with a very cold wind starting up, and rain developing as I neared Clovelly.  What saddened me very much, was the impact that the roadworks seems to be having on Kalk Bay.  The traffic did not flow.  All the way along the road, which used to be a thriving network of fascinating small arty shops, selling trinkets, antiques, art, clothes and food, there are now several empty windows with 'To Let' notices in them.  Almost all the surviving shops are advertising sales.  I stopped to chat with one or two of the shop assistants and vendors.  Many shook their heads with dismay as the loss of trade.  I understand that weekends, when the roadworks stop, that Kalk Bay again thrives.  

As I entered Fish Hoek, I noticed, again, several 'To Let' signs.  Some admittedly are new shop spaces.  Some are not.  A lovely little dress shop at the entrance of Fish Hoek has closed.

Yesterday, I was terribly disappointed to note that my favourite Fruit and Vegetable shop at Valyland has closed.  It was there, and bustling a month ago.  Now it has gone.

Is this the sign of the times?  What hope for economic recovery in the near future?

Some photographs with a cheery note to round off this post:
False Bay seen from the Train
Bird of Paradise
Protea
Indian Hawthorne
I had to include lots of flowers to celebrate our first day of Spring for 2011.
Scene in Kalk Bay

1 comment:

  1. Bird of Paradise and Protea, symbol of South Africa, What is Paradise? A world without crisis or a world where you chase out the crisis? Today, I wish that I could be in a lovely area and celebrate Spring Day, Carpe Diem

    ReplyDelete