Wednesday 7 September 2011

Accidents happen

On Monday, we went hiking at Groot Constantia.  What makes hiking so pleasurable these days, is not only the lovely company, and that open clean feeling that one gets by walking in nature, and that delight that one's body takes in exercise.  Right now, everything is coming into flower.  I posted a lovely picture of Clivia which is flowering in abundance in and around Groot Constantia.

Here is a fun picture of me, standing inside a tree:
This tree fascinates me.  It is completely hollow inside, yet it continues to grow and to leaf as if it was still a sturdy tree.  Another example of nature triumphing over adversity.

Yesterday, we went to Lion's Head.  It was Walter's turn to lift.  We had an accident just before the turn-off to Signal Hill.  No one was hurt.  The car was still functional, just badly dented.  Walter insisted that we hiked anyway, which we did.  It was a lovely, hot summer's day.  Most of us managed to raise a sweat.  I posted a picture of a canopy of trees under which we took a brief breather before the final stint back to the cars.  In the afternoon, I went with Walter to find reputable panel beaters to repair the car.

When I started this blog, I was focused very much on organic gardening.  Nothing about me imagined the sheer wealth that awaited me as slowly but surely I became involved in hiking.  The magic of nature, fresh air, healthy activity and excellent company is so much more than I anticipated.

For the record, the garden is still producing.  I will harvest the final broad beans from the first planting back in April, and post a piccie in the next blog.  They are large, very large, and still juicy and succulent.

No comments:

Post a Comment