Saturday 19 March 2011

It all started with getting 'in'voluntarily separated from my place of employment

About six weeks ago, we got called in to a presentation on proposed restructuring.  This was a prelude to getting retrenched, or involuntarily separated or voluntarily separated or canned or whatever term is the flavour of the day.

This is not good news for someone like me.  I am only a few years off retirement, working in the IT industry, where it is preferable to be 25, to have really nice legs and be generous with providing opportunities to view them.

So what is the next step if there is no looming income?  Cutting costs, of course.  And this has led me to self-sufficiency.

As all of us who strive for this state of Nirvana know, the road to self-sufficiency is a long, back-breaking one, filled with brilliant ideas which don't always pan out in reality.

During the last six weeks, I have had more fun taking my first baby steps in self-sufficiency than I have had in the balance of my more than half-century life.  Not being entirely obtuse, I have put money aside for a rainy day.  The issue is whether enough is indeed enough.  I don't yet know where more of enough is going to come from, but I sure am going to have a great time whilst the source manifests itself.

And this blog is going to share my adventures in self-sufficiency with you.

2 comments: