Sunday 20 March 2011

Footprint Five: Herbs: A leap into the senses

One of the first things that I did was to acquire some herbs, mostly for the kitchen, some for the garden and one just for me.  The one just for me is a rose geranium.  Every time I go out into the garden, I brush my hand over this plant and it gives off the most heavenly smell.

                                                     Rose geranium surrounded by Lollo Rossa lettuce

Other kitchen herbs acquired include mint, oregano, thyme and basil.
                                                                                 Mint

                                                    Basil on my window sill with Bond, the cat

The basil, despite the fact that it looks so lush, has provided pickings almost daily. 

                                                              Thyme with Lollo Rosa lettuce

The herbs have given me endless joy.  I note that the lettuce is starting to drown out the thyme, but not for long.  Without a doubt, the lettuce is ready to be made up into a scrumptious salad.

A little project which has proved very successful is ginger.  I acquired some root from the local supermarket and planted it in some nice rich soil in a milk crate lined with plastic.  I have placed this under some thick trees and shrubs so that it gets filtered sunlight.  I am now the proud owner of two ginger plants.  Again, grace needs to be extended to Mother Nature.  These plants will die back in the winter, and then proceed, hopefully with vigorous growth in Spring and Summer, after which I will have fresh ginger available for the kitchen.

Another herb which is waiting patiently to be planted is comfrey.  This one is for the garden, and of course, for me.  I have not taken a piccie of it as it is not yet in its final home.  It is waiting for the compost heap to be established.  I will plant it nearby so that it gets lots of nutrient and is handy for when I need a compost activator.

There are so many herbs on the acquisition list, amongst them Lemon Grass, Melissa, Borage and Tarragon.  It is not a good time now, as we are heading into winter.  I will wait until the summer and either acquire them then, or grow from seed.  More on this later when it happens.

2 comments:

  1. I am impressed! I will soon be walking the same road, but I wish you were here to give me advice. Shallots will be on the way as soon as I find a way to protect them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, I am impressed! Shallots will be on the way as soon as I find a way to protect them.

    ReplyDelete