Friday 25 March 2011

Footprint Ten: More First Steps

Yesterday evening was a series of more new steps.

I prepared a planter and planted my first spring onions.  I prepared a planter and planted some more carrots.
I planted my first garlic cloves.  Some of these are tucked in with the garlic chives, which are currently flowering:
I now have two broad beans.  Here is one of them, next to the pea:

Having learnt that Nasturtiums are very handy plants for warding off unwanted predators, I tucked some nasturtium seeds into existing decorative tubs, and prepared another planter just for nasturtiums.  Tansy has made it onto the wanted list, as this will help too. 

Although the liquid soap spray did not get rid of the caterpillars on the radish, no more eggs have been laid.  I am hoping that this is a deterrent, and will experiment further with it as time goes by.  I picked the leaves with the caterpillars off and put them in a part of the erf which has not yet been cultivated.  Hopefully they will become beautiful butterflies to pollinate plants into the future.

I have learnt that baking soda does a very good job of removing brown staining on pots.

And here, just for sommer, are some geraniums on my windowsill:

No comments:

Post a Comment