Wednesday 20 April 2011

Footprint 34: Experiments

Nowhere can I find anyone in South Africa who is growing shallots.  Shallots are onions which grow like garlic.  In other words, they are a group of bulbs produced by the same plant, rather than a root.  Their flavour is more subtle than root onion, more delicate, more like a spring onion.  Shallots are highly prized in Europe.  Thanks to a very kind friend of mine, who got export permission for the bulbs, I now have some shallots growing in a tub in my back garden and they are sprouting!
two shallot sprouts
The bulbs that I have planted to date have been most interesting.  The veggies that are growing from seed are very fragile.  The bulbs, when they sprout are vigorous from the time they emerge from the soil.

What I am learning about gardening, is how very important it is to observe.  Each type of plant has its own idiosyncrasies, growth rates, site preferences, soil preferences.  A classic example of this is the carrots that I have planted.  Almost my first planting more than two months ago were carrots.  Those that I planted first, into good quality, well composted soil, in pots that were only just deep enough, have grown very, very slowly.  Carrots that I planted about a month ago, in poorer soil, in a much larger and deeper pot, and in a less sunny position, have leapt forward, and are now larger than their older peers:
Carrots in large planter
The difference is a small one, the lesson learnt quite large.  I now know better to pay careful attention to advice on each crop type.

No comments:

Post a Comment