Monday 11 April 2011

Footprint 19: Plot Clearing

This weekend was very busy.  I am starting to expand out of my little experimental patch in my back garden, into the 'big' world of my front garden.  This process started with plot clearing.  We had to do a lot of trimming in the corridor between my house and that of my neighbour.  It is in this corridor that the compost heap, and some larger plants will go.

Here is some of the bush removed from the corridor:
Indigenous violet and wild dagga

These have already been picked over quite extensively for inclusion in the new compost heap, which will be featured in a later blog.  I am still working through the pile at the back, and putting the stripped branches in a pile in the front.  I have my work cut out for me to chop all of this into fine pieces for the compost heap.  And NO, wild dagga is not what you think it is.  Both these bushes are indigenous plants in South Africa, and both are quite legal.
Syringa trimmings
 I have syringa trees running down my driveway on the other side of my plot.  These had started to interfere with the overhead electrical cabling.  So whilst we were plot clearing, these branches were trimmed off.  Because syringa is poisonous, these will not go into the compost heap, but will go to the municipal dump.

No comments:

Post a Comment