Wednesday 11 May 2011

Footprint 39: More preserving

I am finally getting this preserving thing sorted.  This time, I did not hopelessly over-purchase.  I bought six guavas for the princely sum of R5.11, and three quinces for the princely sum of R2.88:
Guavas and quinces
The preparation was so easy.  I peeled and sliced the guavas and put them into honey jars.  Then I added about two teaspoons of honey to each.  I then turned the bottles about five times, giving the accumulating honey and syrup time to sink to the bottom of the jar each time.  The honey acts as a preservative and it pulls some of the juice out of the guava slices.  The guavas acquire the texture of tinned guavas, but the fruit and honey is preservative free and has not been cooked.  

 The quinces I peeled, cored and chopped.  Then I put them into a pot with about 1cm of water and set them to boil.  Once boiled, I turned the stove off and put them in a honey jar which was still hot from having been soaked in hot water to sterilise.  I then added about two teaspoons of honey.  These I also turned to let the honey soak through.  All three bottles will need to go into the fridge, but will last about a month, unless, of course, they get eaten in the interim.

These are lovely preserves to have.  They are quick and easy to make, very, very inexpensive, and can be used as additives to breakfast, or served with custard or cream for pudding, or just nibbled to satisfy a sweet craving.  In terms of the quince, raisins and/or cinnamon can be added for alternative interest.  The quince can also be served with chicken and pork.

No comments:

Post a Comment