Thursday 5 January 2012

Dehydrating: Baby Steps

Yesterday I purchased a dehydrator.  Such a simple statement.  Nothing prepared me for becoming a slave to my dehydrator.  Between 15h00 yesterday afternoon and now, I have dehydrated the following:

1 box of apricots from the market.  The box is quite large, estimated at about 7 kgs.  I managed to reduce half the large box into a small bag of dried apricots, and five apricot rollups, the latter of which are still dehydrating away.
4 large green peppers.  The four large green peppers are now a handful of miniscule strips hiding in a 2 litre tupperware;
12 small tomatoes harvested from the garden;
1 tray of parsley harvested from the garden;
3 bananas.

In between, I managed to tuck in a litre of yoghurt.  I seem to have spent the entire day standing over pots of apricot puree, watering the garden, making the yoghurt, hunting down recipes, and generally exhausting myself for what amounts to the equivalent of 1 litre of dried produce and 1 litre of yoghurt.

I actually can't remember when last I had so much fun :).  It is really nice to learn a new skill and to have a reasonable success rate along the way.

Tomorrow I plan to get stuck into the box of mangoes which is waiting on the windowsill [this is where the overflow from the kitchen is living for the time being], and also to try the absolutely divine biscuits for which there is a recipe in the book entitled 'Rawlicious'.  Oh, also, I will try my hand at kiwi fruit.  The world of dried food is now my oyster.

So, no piccies today.  I will try to come up with some eye candy for the next post.

1 comment:

  1. The more I read, the more I long to go see you. The more time goes by, the shorter the time frame till we see each other again. Don't give up your activities before I fly over; I will need coaching.

    ReplyDelete