Wednesday 24 August 2011

Drowning in Photographs

I cannot believe that I have basically spent one and a half days going through the photographs of my departure trip and my first evening and part of the first day in Seoul.  Except for a short jaunt off to PnP to price things like noodles and seaweed [gasp - R48-odd a packet], a trip to the vet with Pigaloo, and a handful of scrabble turns, I have managed to post nine posts on A Light Traveller and three posts on Project 365.  I am busy sorting the photographs of my first full day in Seoul and I am already exhausted!  I've managed the Trip to Technomart, three on the Olympic Park and one dedicated to the national flower of Korea, being the Rose of Sharon.  I still have our trip to Home Plus and Supper to cover.  If I had published all of the piccies from the Olympic Park, Blogspot would have had to buy an extra server :).  


It probably sounds a bit arb to include shopping trips in a travel blog.  It is just that shopping there was SO different.  The products, the foods, the methods of selling and merchandising are all so different.

I have updated my Project 365, again with the Rose of Sharon.  I simply cannot get over the delicacy of this flower.  How it survives the monsoon rains with the concurrent squally winds I can't imagine.

Just to perk this post up a bit, I am publishing one of the photographs that did not make it onto A Light Traveller in the context of the Olympic Park.  It is one of the flora around the lake in the park:
Korea amazes me.  I wasn't really there during tourist season.  I wasn't there at cherry blossom time.  I wasn't there in autumn when the tree foliage turns into a patina of oranges, reds, yellows, greens and browns.  Yet it remains beautiful.  I suppose every country does.  I also suppose that a fuller impact of this country hit me because everything was new and different, untasted, untested and untried.  As a consequence little was taken for granted.  I suppose that that is why travel is so appealing.  One acquires new senses as one experiences new sights, tastes, smells, noises, textures, cultures and art forms.  Little was taken for granted.  Whatever, I am so glad that I got to experience it.  Thanks, Dani, for making my time there so rich in experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment